According to the Senate Syllabus, the College papers are examined by the College whereas the Senate papers are examined by the Senate of Serampore College.
B.D. Link to M.Th. Degree Course
B.D. students intending to go for M.Th. studies should take note of the following to qualify themselves for a specific branch of study:
- General graduates securing 1st or 2nd class will require 3 papers at B.D. level (B Grade) in the area in which M.Th. is to be studied.
- Th. urgraders will require 2 papers at B.D. level of the area in which M.Th. studies are to be done.
- Those holding B.D. of B- grade overall and the branch need retake 4 papers at B.D. level in the chosen branch of specialization securing an average of 60% and not less then 55% in any paper at one sitting (Qualifying).
- Those securing 60% in the intended branch but only 55% in overall average will write two papers in other branches securing 60% but not less than 55% in any paper in one sitting (Qualifying).
- Break between B.D. & M.Th, studies: One year gap required for any branch in M.Th. other than Christian Ministry which requires two years break (Women exempted).
- No break required for B.Th. upgraders to B.D. to do M.Th. from 2005 onwards.
- Th. in Old Testament requires two Hebrew papers at B.D. level other than the Preliminary Hebrew courses.
- Th. in New Testament requires three Greek papers at B.D. level other than the Preliminary Greek courses; OR two papers + one advanced classical Biblical language in second class grade.
- Th. in Theology requires one course at B.D. level either Greek or Hebrew or Latin or Syriac or Sanskrit beside the Preliminary Hebrew/Greek
- Th. in Religion requires an advanced B.D. level paper in Sanskrit or Pali or Prakrit or Arabic or Cultural Anthropology (for Primal Religion) conducted by the Senate.
Note: In view of the above requirements, students are advised to register papers carefully.
The Master of Theology Degree
Seeing the need for higher theological education in North East India, the Faculty Council and the College Board committed to make the Eastern Theological College as one of the Post-Graduate
Study Centers for North East India. Accordingly, it was decided to introduce the M. Th. Degree course. The primary purpose of the postgraduate programme is to develop human potentials through theological education in order to meet the need of the churches and the people in general. The rapid social change that has been taking place in this region, the increasing number of theological colleges, and the growing churches require qualified persons who are deeply committed to the cause of Christian ministry, academically qualified personnel to teach in the theological colleges and to minister to the churches. The College, therefore, took up the challenge and launched this programme from 1996. Currently, the College offers M.Th. degreed in four branches: New Testament, Christian Theology, History of Christianity and Christian Ministry
Institute of Leadership Enhancement and Ministry Augmentation (ILEMA)
In pursuit of fulfilling Article III.3 of the College Constitution, the department of ILEMA was introduced at ETC from June 2012 and the Board of Trustees resolved and blessed the formation of ILEMA. The College has its own education programme under ILEMA and offers two degrees such as MA in Holistic Child Development and MA in Peace Studies from 2013 and 2014 respectively. The MA Programmes require two year study during which 1 month intensive classes are arranged during May every year.
In order to meet the pressing demand of higher theological education in the region the college has introduced Doctor of Theology Programme at ETC, Jorhat. The programme has been officially approved by the Senate and admissions are now open.